These easy oven roasted potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They're a quick and simple side dish flavored with a classic combination of garlic and herbs.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe card and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Baby red potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Line a medium baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
Step 2: Cut the Potatoes
Cut the baby potatoes in half; if there are very large potatoes cut them into quarters to ensure even cooking.
Step 3: Toss
Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper on the baking sheet. As much as possible, arrange them in a single layer so that they are not overlapping.
Step 4: Bake
Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 25 - 35 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Flip the potatoes after 15 minutes and check them at 25 minutes for doneness.
Step 5: Serve
Serve immediately, optionally topped with chopped fresh parsley.
- Potatoes: baby red potatoes or baby gold potatoes are best for this recipe. Fingerling potatoes will also work.
- Oil: this recipe uses olive oil, but you can substitute avocado oil, which works great for cooking at high temperatures.
- Garlic: use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or 2 minced cloves of fresh garlic. If you use fresh garlic it will get very browned and crispy in the oven.
- Herbs: dried thyme or rosemary are both tasty in this recipe. You can also swap out the dried herbs for 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs.
- Paprika: paprika is a tasty addition to this recipe! Add ½ to your potatoes when you toss them with the other seasonings.
Frequently Asked Questions
You don't need to peel your potatoes. Most baby red potatoes are small and tricky to peel. You can peel your potatoes if you prefer; but it's not necessary for this recipe.
Baby red or gold potatoes work best for this recipe. Their flavor and texture make for perfectly roasted bites of potato.
This recipe will make your potatoes lightly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! But for even crispier potatoes, place them all cut side down on the baking sheet and don't flip them during baking.
Check your potatoes at around the 25 minute mark for doneness. You can do this by gently piercing one with a fork. It should go through the center of the potato with minimal resistance. The potatoes will also be lightly browned and dark brown in places when done.
If you have some baby potatoes that are larger than others, cut them into quarters so that they are all a similar size. All of your potato pieces should be about 1 inch in size. This will help them cook evenly in the oven.
For more easy classic side dish recipes, check out these top posts:Print