This easy, oven baked Buffalo Chicken Dip is perfectly creamy, cheesy, and flavorful every time! It's made with buffalo sauce (Frank's RedHot) and 3 kinds of gooey, delicious melted cheese. This dip is always an appetizer or game day crowd-pleaser.
About This Recipe
This dip is an addicting treat that's perfect as an appetizer or snack. We love to make it for parties or on game days while watching football. It's best served with chips, crackers or bread for dipping.
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here's a quick overview of what you'll need & how to make it:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds), cooked and shredded
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce (I used Frank’s RedHot)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Yogurt: greek yogurt is used instead of sour cream in this recipe (you can substitute sour cream if preferred)
- Buffalo Sauce: use your preferred hot sauce or buffalo sauce. A milder sauce will make this dip less spicy.
- Mozzarella: you can substitute an additional ½ cup of cheddar cheese if desired
How to Make This Buffalo Chicken Dip
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except for the chicken. Stir well and use a fork to mash any lumps of cream cheese. Stir in the chicken.
STEP 3: Add the mixture to the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly along the edges.
STEP 4: Remove the dip from the oven and stir it, mixing the dip completely and stirring well. Spread it in a roughly even layer. Broil the dip at 500° for 3 - 5 minutes, until the top is set and lightly browned (keep a close eye on it so that it doesn’t burn).
STEP 5: Serve warm, optionally garnished with sliced green onions. Serve with chips, celery, bread or crackers for dipping.
How to Serve This Recipe
This dip is best served with your favorite chips, crackers or veggies. Tortilla chips, carrots, and celery are all especially popular.
How to Store This Recipe
- In the fridge: cool and store your buffalo chicken dip for up to 3 - 5 days in the fridge.
- In the freezer: the best way to freeze this dip is to freeze it before it's baked. Add it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight before baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dip is best baked in an 8u0022 x 8u0022 baking dish, but you could also use a 9u0022 x 9u0022 dish or any similarly sized dish.
The spice in this recipe comes from the buffalo sauce. Use a milder or spicer sauce depending on how spicy you want your dip to be. I like to use Frank's Red Wings Sauce for a medium to high spice level.