This easy potato salad is a classic, family-favorite recipe that will have everyone asking you to share the recipe! It's creamy, flavorful, and super simple to make.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe card and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- 2 - 2 ½ pounds potatoes gold, red or Russet potatoes), peeled or unpeeled and cut into quarters
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 5 green onions chopped (white & green parts)
Step 1: Boil the potatoes
Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill it with cold water until the water covers the potatoes by about 1 inch. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring the pot to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 15 - 20 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Make the dressing
While the potatoes cook, in a large bowl stir together: mayonnaise, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Step 3: Mix
Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into roughly ½ inch pieces. Add the potatoes to the bowl with the mayonnaise along with the eggs, celery, and green onions. Stir gently to mix.
Step 4: Serve
Serve cold, optionally topped with a sprinkle of paprika or chopped chives.
- Vinegar: swap out the lemon juice in this recipe for white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. All of these options add acidity to the potato salad.
- Potatoes: you can use gold, red or Russet (white) potatoes to make this potato salad. They can be peeled or unpeeled (based on personal preference)
- Mustard: dijon, yellow, or whole grain mustard can be used
- In the fridge: cover and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 - 5 days.
- In the freezer: it's not recommended to freeze potato salad as it will change its texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Potato salad is very versatile! You can use gold (Yukon gold), red, or white (Russet) potatoes. Gold potatoes are most popular.
If you're cooking for a crowd, you can estimate 1 cup or half a pound of potato salad per person. This recipe makes 8 servings, or about 8 cups.
If you're serving a very large crowd (even 40 or 50 people), calculate how much salad you'll need (half a pound per person) and buy that many pounds of potatoes. You can then multiply this recipe depending on how much you need.