This easy cucumber tomato salad showcases the best of summer produce! It's made with tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion tossed in a tangy herb dressing. The flavors are simple, classic, and so refreshing.
About This Recipe
This cucumber tomato salad is refreshing and light. It's made with a classic combination of only 3 ingredients: cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion.
The dressing for this salad is a simple mix of dried dill, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. The dill brings the flavors of this salad to the next level, making every bite flavor-loaded. If you aren't a fan of dill, you can also substitute fresh parsley or basil.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Dried dill
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Here's how to make this recipe in 3 simple steps:
- Optional: before making your salad, use a peeler to peel strips of skin off of the cucumbers. This makes them easier to bite. Do this about 5 times, lengthwise, around each cucumber.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and stir to mix. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, or dill as desired.
- If time allows, store in the fridge, covered, for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to marinate.
Here's some of the most popular substitutions and additions for this recipe:
- Cucumbers: use any type of cucumber. I've used slicing cucumbers, but you could also use English or snacking cucumbers.
- Tomatoes: this recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, but you could also use grape tomatoes or garden tomatoes.
- Dill: use dried dill weed or freeze-dried dill. You can also use fresh dill. Fresh parsley or basil can be substituted for dill. If you use fresh herbs, use 2 tablespoons or more, to taste.
- Red wine vinegar: white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar can be substituted but will change the flavor of the salad slightly.
- Cheese: add feta or mozzarella to add creaminess to the salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time. It's recommended not to make it more than a few hours ahead of time. Make the recipe according to the instructions and store it in an airtight container until you are ready to serve it. Stir before serving.
This recipe is best served as a side salad. It's tasty with lighter main courses (like chicken or pasta) and is also popular for barbecues/picnics.
How to Store Leftovers
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Stir well before serving.