This BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes recipe is tasty, healthy, and easy. It's sweet potatoes stuffed with chicken covered in BBQ sauce. So good and simple — you'll want to make these weekly!
This recipe is also naturally gluten free, dairy-free, paleo & Whole 30 friendly.
About This Recipe
This is a super versatile recipe: it can be made for lunch, dinner, or meal prep. Plus it's filling and satisfying because each serving is a full sweet potato stuffed with chicken.
The combination of the smoky BBQ sauce and the sweetness of the sweet potato is what makes this recipe so good! And top it with your favorite toppings (like red onion, cilantro, avocado) for added freshness and texture.
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
How to Make BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are ready in only 5 simple steps. First, you'll cook your sweet potatoes and chicken. Then you'll shred the chicken and toss it with BBQ sauce. And lastly, you'll stuff the potatoes with the chicken and add your favorite toppings.
This recipe is easy with minimal time in the kitchen and minimal clean up!
Tips & Tricks for The Recipe
- BBQ sauce: it's best to use a classic or mesquite BBQ sauce for this recipe. Sweet or honey BBQ sauces tend to make this recipe too sweet.
- Cooking the sweet potatoes: to test if your sweet potatoes are done, stick a fork or knife into the thickest part. If it goes through with no resistance or firmness, then the potato is cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes.
How to Store This Recipe
- In the fridge: store in an airtight container for up to 3 - 5 days. Store toppings separately and add them after reheating.
- In the freezer: cool and then individually wrap each potato so that it is airtight. Freeze for up to 3 months. Freeze without toppings.
Looking for more Whole30 recipes? Click here: Whole30 Recipes.
These sweet potatoes are one of our top Whole30 inspired recipes, along with our Easy Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetables.
For our entire healthy dinner collection, click here: Healthy Dinners.