This tortellini caprese salad is a traditional caprese salad turned into a pasta salad with tortellini! It's made with tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, and topped with a sweet balsamic glaze.
About This Recipe
This recipe is for a traditional caprese salad made with tortellini pasta. It's a tasty twist on a classic recipe that turns it into a main course or a side salad.
If you love caprese salad or pasta salad, you'll love this recipe! It's easy and quick to make, and the balsamic glaze on top makes it crave-worthy.
Tortellini Caprese Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Cheese tortillini
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella balls
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Balsamic glaze
How to Make Tortellini Caprese Salad
Here's how to make this recipe in 3 simple steps:
- Cook the tortellini according to the package’s instructions. Strain and rinse with cold water until cooled. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the tortellini to a large bowl. Toss with everything except for the balsamic glaze: tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the salad just before serving. Once plated, you may want to drizzle additional glaze on top, depending on personal preference.
Here's some of the most popular substitutions and additions for this recipe:
- Tortellini: cheese tortellini is recommended, but you can use any flavor of tortellini.
- Mozzarella: use mozzarella balls cut in half, mozzarella pearls, or any type of fresh mozzarella cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Avocado: avocado is not part of a traditional caprese salad; but it adds texture and creaminess to this recipe. You can leave it out if preferred.
- Balsamic glaze: this is a thick, sweet topping for the salad. You can use balsamic vinaigrette as the dressing instead if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar that has been cooked down so that it's thick. It tastes similar to balsamic vinegar but is sweeter.
This recipe uses balsamic glaze instead of dressing, but you can use a balsamic vinaigrette instead if preferred.
To make this recipe ahead of time, follow the recipe according to the instructions but leave out the basil, avocado and balsamic glaze until just before serving.
This recipe should be served cold. Once you cook the tortellini, rinse it under cold water and let it cool completely before making the salad.
How to Store Leftovers
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Stir well and add additional balsamic glaze, if needed, before serving.