Ready in only 20 minutes, this easy chicken caprese salad is a classic combination of Italian-inspired flavors. It's a twist on a traditional caprese salad, adding chicken, avocado, lettuce, and a 4-ingredient balsamic dressing.
About This Recipe
This recipe takes a traditional caprese salad (basil, tomato, mozzarella) and makes it into a satisfying main course salad. If you love Italian flavors, you'll love this recipe.
The basil + tomato + mozzarella flavor combination is still the star of this salad; but it's taken to the next level by the addition of chicken and avocado.
This is a salad that's simple enough to be a quick weekday lunch or dinner, but also pretty enough to impress guests on a special occasion.
Chicken Caprese Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella pearls
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Chicken Caprese Salad
Here's how to make this recipe in 4 simple steps:
- Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make 4 chicken cutlets. Season the chicken on both sides with Italian seasoning.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until cooked through to 165°F. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and then slice into thin strips.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk or stir the dressing ingredients until emulsified (fully mixed and thickened).
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Drizzle of the dressing as desired on top and toss to mix. Serve immediately.
Here's some of the most popular substitutions and additions for this recipe:
- Lettuce: instead of romaine you could substitute a spring mix or spinach.
- Tomatoes: cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or any type of diced tomato will work.
- Mozzarella: the recipe calls for mozzarella peals but you could use any size of mozzarella (balls or a block) and chop it bite-sized
- Italian seasoning: use oregano or basil if you don't have Italian seasoning on hand for the chicken. You could also grill the chicken or marinate it (with the seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice) if you have time.
About The Dressing
This recipe uses a simple, 4-ingredient Balsamic vinaigrette. A traditional caprese salad is often served with balsamic glaze, and the same flavors are used in this dressing.
You can make your own balsamic vinaigrette or use your favorite store-bought version.
This salad is very versatile and would be tasty with just about any dressing. Here's a few ideas:
- Italian dressing
- Zesty Italian dressing
- Red wine vinaigrette
Frequently Asked Questions
A caprese salad is traditionally made with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. This version turns in into a main course salad by adding lettuce, chicken, and avocado!
Yes, you can make it up to a few hours ahead of time. You'll want to store your dressing and avocado separately and add them just before serving (to prevent wilting & browning). This recipe is best enjoyed immediately after making it.
The chicken sliced horizontally to make it into thin cutlets. It's then seasoned with Italian seasoning (or you could use oregano) and cooked for about 6 minutes on either side on the stovetop.
You could also grill your chicken, cook it in the oven, or marinate it (us any Italian-inspired marinade).
How to Serve
This recipe is most popular served as a main course and makes about 4 servings. It can be served with the chicken warm or cold.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment & rating at the bottom of this page!Print