This easy lasagna soup recipe is a lasagna transformed into a one pot soup! It has all the traditional lasagna ingredients and flavors, but is even tastier and simple to make as a soup.Disclaimer: This page contains affiliate links to cooking items we love & use. If you purchase through one of these links we may earn a small commission.
About This Recipe
This recipe is a hearty, satisfying soup that's ideal as a weeknight dinner or weekend treat. It makes a large batch of soup (serves 5 - 6) and is full of tasty, traditional Italian flavors.
Lasagna Soup is perfect for when you're craving pasta or lasagna but want to try a fun (and easy!) twist on an Italian classic.
Easy Lasagna Soup Ingredients
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here's a quick overview of what you'll need & how to make it:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into quarters
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Italian seasoning: swap out the basil and oregano for 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning to flavor your soup if preferred.
- Noodles: if needed, you can substitute any medium noodle for lasagna noodles (like penne, ziti, rotini, rigatoni).
- Meat: ground turkey or sausage are also tasty in this recipe instead of beef.
How to Make This Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
STEP 1: In a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, brown and crumble the beef until cooked, about 7 - 10 minutes. Drain excess grease and set aside the beef.
STEP 2: Add another tablespoon of oil to your pot. Once hot, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3 - 4 minutes.
STEP 3: Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the tomato paste.
STEP 4: Add the cooked beef, broth, diced tomatoes (undrained), crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano to the pot. Stir to mix.
STEP 5: Bring the pot to a boil and add the noodles, roughly broken into fourths. Lightly boil, uncovered, for 8 - 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot and keeping the noodles submerged.
STEP 6: Stir in the mozzarella and until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional chicken broth if a thinner soup is desired.
STEP 7: Serve immediately, optionally topped with chopped fresh basil, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese.
How to Serve This Recipe
Serve your lasagna soup immediately in individual bowls, optionally topped with chopped fresh basil, ricotta cheese, and/or parmesan cheese.
This soup is hearty and filling enough to serve as a stand alone dish. If you would like to serve it with a side dish, it pairs best with lighter, Italian-inspired sides like a salad or roasted vegetables.
How to Store This Recipe
- In the fridge: let your soup cool and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 - 5 days.
- In the freezer: let your soup cool and then store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 - 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cook the lasagna noodles for 8 - 10 minutes, until they are cooked al dente. The noodles should still have some slight firmness so that they don't become mushy in the soup.
Yes, you can also cook your lasagna noodles separately. Cook the noodles according to your package's instructions; and while they cook, lightly simmer your soup for the same amount of time. Add the noodles to your soup just before serving.
If you would prefer a thinner soup, add additional chicken broth (or water) at the end of the recipe.