This easy lasagna soup recipe is a lasagna transformed into a one pot soup! It has all the traditional lasagna ingredients and flavors, but is even tastier and simple to make as a soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 lasagna noodles (broken into quarters)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
Optional, for topping:
- Fresh chopped basil
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, brown and crumble the beef until cooked, about 7 - 10 minutes. Drain excess grease and set aside the beef.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to your pot. Once hot, add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the cooked beef, broth, diced tomatoes (undrained), crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano to the pot. Stir to mix.
- Bring the pot to a boil and add the noodles, roughly broken into fourths. Lightly boil, uncovered, for 8 - 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot and keeping the noodles submerged.
- Stir in the mozzarella and until melted. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional chicken broth if a thinner soup is desired.
- Serve immediately, optionally topped with chopped fresh basil, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian Inspired
Keywords: Italian, lasagna, one pot, soup