This easy creamed spinach is a classic recipe that's ready in only 20 minutes. It's rich and creamy, made with a mix of fresh spinach, cream cheese and heavy cream.
This recipe is a traditional, steakhouse-style way to cook creamed spinach. It mixes it with onion, garlic, cheese and cream. The result is a rich, decadent spinach dish that's irresistible (even if you don't love spinach)!
This recipe is the ideal side dish for a simple dinner, get together or the holidays. It can be made ahead of time and is always a crowd pleaser.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Fresh baby spinach
- Ground nutmeg & cayenne, optional
Here's how to make this recipe in 5 simple steps:
- Cook the onion: in a dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and saute 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Cook the garlic: add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, until fragrant.
- Boil: stir in the cream cheese, heavy cream, parmesan, salt, pepper and optional nutmeg and cayenne. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Stir frequently until the cheese is melted.
- Add spinach: add the spinach in large handfuls. Stir it into the liquid and let it reduce slightly after each handful. For a finer texture, chop your spinach before adding it.
- Serve: taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm. Will thicken slightly as it cools.
Here's some of the most popular substitutions and additions for this recipe:
- Parmesan: our favorite to use in this recipe is freshly shredded Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Mozzarella: for a cheesier dish, add ¼ cup of mozzarella.
- Garlic: fresh garlic can be swapped out for ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Spinach: use fresh baby spinach. Chop it before adding it if you prefer a finer texture.
- Nutmeg: optional, but highly recommended! Adds depth of flavor.
- Cayenne: also optional — sprinkle a small pinch to add flavor without making the dish spicy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make it up to a day ahead of time. Reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat.
Creamed spinach is best served warm and is traditionally a side dish. It goes with almost any main dish (like meats or pastas).
This recipe makes about 4 servings of creamed spinach as a side dish. If you need to cook more, it's easy to double the recipe.
- In the fridge: store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer: freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Be sure to let it cool first.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment & rating at the bottom of this page!Print