This Mediterranean chickpea salad recipe is easy, quick, and full of fresh flavor. It’s ready in about 10 minutes and uses a simple, classic olive oil & lemon dressing.
About The Recipe
This mediterranean chickpea salad is an easy recipe that’s full of wholesome, whole food ingredients. It’s loaded with fresh vegetables and tossed in a simple olive oil & lemon dressing to keep it light and bright.
If you love Mediterranean flavors or are in need of a new salad recipe that doesn’t rely on lettuce, this will become a fast favorite.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here’s a quick overview of what’s in it:
- Chickpeas: you’ll need 2 cans of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), found in the canned beans aisle
- Cucumber: use 1 medium cucumber and chop it into quarters or smaller
- Cherry tomatoes: use 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- Red onion: 1/2 red onion adds acidity to the salad along with crunchiness
- Feta: 3/4 cup feta adds a delicious creaminess to this recipe
- Kalamata olives: you’ll need 1/2 cup olives. It’s best to buy them pitted (with their pits removed)
- Parsley: parsley adds fresh flavor to this recipe & you’ll need 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley (flat leaf parsley is recommended)
The dressing for this salad is a classic mix of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt & pepper.
How to Make Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This is a quick salad recipe that only takes about 10 minutes to create. You’ll simply add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and then mix in the dressing.
How to Serve Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This recipe can be served as a main course or a side dish. It’s tasty served with other Mediterranean-inspired meals or a side of pita bread.
Because it tastes better and better the longer it sits, this is also an ideal recipe for meal prep. Make it ahead of time and store it in your fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
Are Garbanzo Beans and Chickpeas the Same?
Yes, these are two names for the same thing! When you look for 2 cans of chickpeas at your store (in the bean aisle), they may also be labeled as garbanzo beans.
Tips & Tricks for The Recipe
- Let it sit: the longer this recipe sits, the more the flavors marinate. I’d recommend refrigerating it for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Season generously: once your salad is mixed, do a final taste test and add more salt & pepper if desired. I always end up adding another generous sprinkle of each.
- Make it your own: this recipe is easy to customized based on what you like. Add more of the ingredients that you enjoy, and feel free to leave out ones that aren’t your favorites.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
Here are some of the most popular variations & substitutions for this recipe. You can use these as ideas for how to make this salad your own:
- Red bell pepper: dice 1 red bell pepper and add it to your salad
- Tomatoes: cherry, grape, or roma tomatoes will work for this recipe. Just be sure to cut them into small pieces.
- Olives: kalamata olives are recommended but you can substitute any black olive
- Mint: add 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint to give this salad more fresh + refreshing flavor
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how it turned out in the comments below! We love to hear your feedback!Print