This jackfruit pulled pork recipe uses BBQ sauce to create a vegan version of a cookout classic. It's the ultimate dupe for a pulled pork sandwich!
- 2 (20 ounce) cans jackfruit
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (divided)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the jackfruit: drain the cans of jackfruit and rinse well.
- Cook the onion: in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the diced onion. Saute for 3 - 4 minutes, until translucent.
- Cook the jackfruit: add the jackfruit and ¾ cup BBQ sauce to the skillet. Pour in ⅓ cup of water and stir. Cover skillet and simmer 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Shred the jackfruit: using 2 forks or a potato masher, shred the jackfruit into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle generously with pepper to taste.
- Turn up heat: turn up the heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
- Add more BBQ sauce: remove the pan from the heat and stir in remaining ¼ cup BBQ sauce.
- Serve: serve on hamburger buns, optionally topped with coleslaw or lettuce & tomato.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: BBQ, jackfruit