This easy vegetable beef soup is a cozy, hearty recipe that's made with frozen vegetables to save time. It also uses a little bacon for added flavor and crunch!
About This Recipe
There's nothing like a bowl of vegetable beef soup: it's all of the best comfort flavors in one. From the tender beef to the hearty potatoes and vegetables to the Italian seasonings, this soup always gets rave reviews.
This recipe is perfect for when you're craving a cozy bowl of soup or if you'd like to make a large batch and freeze it for leftovers.
Ingredients for Vegetable Beef Soup
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here's a quick overview of what you'll need & how to make it:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 - 7 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed yellow potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes)
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
Popular Substitutions & Additions:
- Potatoes: use yellow or red potatoes
- Frozen vegetables: I used a mix of carrots, corn, green beans and peas; but you can use 3 cups of any vegetables
- Bacon: if you love bacon, add more (just be sure to drain a little of the grease) as you cook
How to Make This Vegetable Beef Soup
Step 1: cook the bacon
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot, cook the bacon 5 - 7 minutes, until browned and crispy. Set aside and leave the grease in the pan. Once cool, crumble the bacon.
Step 2: cook the beef
Add the meat to the pan in batches (about half at a time) so that it fits in a single layer without overlapping. Cook 3 - 4 minutes and then flip and cook for 3 - 4 minutes more. Beef should be browned but not cooked through. Set aside the beef and leave any drippings in the pot.
Step 3: cook the onion & garlic
Add the onion to the pot and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Step 4: add ingredients & simmer
Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves and beef to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, turn the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
Step 5: add potatoes & bacon
Stir in the potatoes and cook for 20 - 25 minutes more. The potatoes and beef should be tender and cooked through.
Step 6: add frozen vegetables
Stir in the frozen vegetables and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, until heated through. Taste and season with salt & pepper. Add more beef broth if preferred.
Step 7: add bacon & serve
Stir in half the bacon. Discard bay leaf and serve warm, topped with the remaining bacon.
In the fridge: cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 - 4 days.
In the freezer: cool and freeze in an airtight container for about 3 months. Store in serving-size containers for convenience.