This easy chicken pad Thai recipe uses simple ingredients and the BEST sauce. If you're craving Thai food or takeout, this will be a new homemade favorite.
About This Recipe
This recipe is an easy way to make pad Thai that uses easily-found ingredients (nothing too obscure)!
It has all the flavor of an authentic pad Thai, with a couple small adjustments to the sauce. The sauce is a mix of traditional pad Thai fish sauce plus Thai peanut sauce. It's GOOD.
This dish is full of bold flavor, sweetness, and a little spice! It's ideal as dinner on a busy night (ready in only 35 minutes) or for a night in when you're craving a healthier version of takeout.
How to Make Easy Chicken Pad Thai
This is an easy way to make pad Thai because you'll cook each component separately and then add them all together to make your finished dish.
You'll cook your noodles, chicken, vegetables, and egg; and then add everything together and toss it with the sauce.
Tips & Tricks for This Recipe
- Noodles: pad Thai rice noodles are best for this recipe but you can substitute any flat rice noodle or fettuccini.
- Use toppings: this recipe is tasty on its own, but the toppings add a lot of extra fresh flavor and texture. We love this recipe with cilantro, peanuts, and red onions on top.
- Slicing the chicken: when slicing your chicken, slice it as thin as possible, against the grain & at an angle.
How to Store Chicken Pad Thai
- In the fridge: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 - 3 days.
- In the freezer: it's not recommended to freeze this recipe because the texture will change.
Easy Chicken Pad Thai
- 8 ounces pad Thai noodles or any flat rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into very thin strips
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 bell red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 eggs
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos for gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 green onions chopped
- ½ cup dry roasted peanuts chopped
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Once cooked, rinse under cold water (to prevent sticking) and set aside.
- While the noodles cook, mix together the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Cook the chicken about 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Drain any juices and set aside the cooked chicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the carrots and bell pepper and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, until tender. Add the bean sprouts and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Move the vegetables to create space in the middle of your pan. Add the 2 eggs and lightly scramble them. Set aside the cooked eggs and vegetables with the chicken.
- Add the sauce to the pan over low heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 minute to thicken.
- Add the chicken, vegetables, egg and noodles to the pan. Stir (using tongs if possible) until coated in the sauce.
- Serve warm. Optionally, top with peanuts, cilantro, green onions, and red pepper (for spice).