Ready in only 30 minutes, this chicken enchilada soup is easy to make in one pot on the stove. It's LOADED with flavor and tasty toppings! This soup is all of your favorite enchilada ingredients in the form of a cozy soup.
This chicken enchilada soup is a favorite go-to dinner: it's simple, quick, and leftovers always taste amazing. Plus you can customize it with all kinds of toppings for added flavor and texture.
This recipe is ideal as a busy weeknight dinner, meal prep for your week, or if you need a recipe to make and freeze for later.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe. The full recipe card and ingredient list can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Tomato paste
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Black beans
- Seasonings: cumin, chili powder, oregano
Here's how to make this recipe in 5 simple steps:
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot, cook the onion for 3 - 4 minutes, until translucent.
Step 2: Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the tomato paste.
Step 3: Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the chicken, corn and beans. Bring the pot to a boil and then simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Step 4: Add the chicken, beans and corn and simmer 3 - 5 minutes more, until heated through.
Step 5: Enjoy! Serve warm, optionally with toppings like: tortilla strips, cilantro, cheese, avocado, or lime wedges.
- Chicken: this recipe calls for 2 cooked chicken breasts (about 1.5 pounds). To save time, you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Note that it may be pre-seasoned and you'll want to use less salt in the recipe.
- Corn: fresh, canned, or frozen corn all work for this recipe.
- Cheese: for a cheesy enchilada soup, stir in 1 cup cheddar or Mexican blend cheese at the end of the recipe.
- Cream cheese: to make this soup creamier, add 4 - 6 ounces of softened cream cheese at the end of the recipe.
- In the fridge: cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up 4 - 5 days.
- In the freezer: cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's all the flavors of chicken enchiladas in the form of a soup! It's loaded with flavor and ingredients like: chicken, tomatoes, corn, and beans. The closest comparison flavor-wise would be chicken tortilla soup. If you love Mexican-inspired flavors or chicken tortilla soup — you'll love this recipe.
No, this recipe has mild to medium spice. The only spice comes from the chili powder; and if you choose to add them — the diced green peppers. To make this recipe more spicy, add more green peppers, a diced jalapeno, or a pinch of cayenne. To make it less spicy, use less chili powder.
This soup is best served warm and piled with toppings! Use your favorite enchilada or taco inspired toppings like: cheese, tortilla strips (or chips), avocados, sour cream, cilantro, etc.