This chicken burrito bowl is made with flavorful fajita chicken, bell peppers, corn, rice, beans, and lettuce. Plus add your favorite toppings like avocado, red onion, and cilantro lime dressing.
This is an easy way to make chicken burrito bowls that's also tasty as meal prep for the week!
About The Recipe
These chicken burrito bowls are super simple and delicious. The chicken is full of bold, Mexican-inspired flavors, and you can customize your bowl with your favorite toppings and sides.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it's easy to make as meal-prep. We usually double the recipe and then eat it for dinner as well as lunches for several days.
How to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls
The full recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here's a quick overview of how to make it in 5 steps:
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Step 2: Make the seasoning
In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper.
Step 3: Prep the chicken & peppers
Add the chicken and bell peppers to the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle oil and sprinkle seasoning over the chicken and peppers and then toss to combine.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven and squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the chicken and peppers.
Step 5: Make your bowls
Assemble the bowls: start with lettuce and rice and then add beans, corn, cooked chicken and bell peppers, red onion, and avocado. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over the bowl before eating.
Tips & Tricks for The Recipe
- How to slice your chicken: slice your chicken breast in thin strips, against the grain and at an angle to make 'classic fajita' strips
- How to know if your chicken is cooked: your chicken should cook for about 20 - 25 minutes in the oven, and you'll know when it's done if it's no longer pink in the middle. The done temperature of chicken is 165°F.
- Make it your own: these bowls are easy to customize. Experiment with adding your favorite sides and toppings (check out the next section for some ideas)!
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
- Tomatoes: halved cherry tomatoes or diced Roma tomatoes are a popular addition to this recipe
- Rice: use any variation of rice for this recipe — white, brown, cilantro lime or cauliflower rice are all tasty (or you can also use quinoa)
- Cheese: add cheddar cheese or a Mexican cheese blend on top
- Guacamole or pico de gallo: if you prefer, pile one of these on top of your bowls for even more added flavor
How to Store Chicken Burrito Bowls
- In the fridge: cool and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- In the freezer: it's not recommended to freeze this recipe.
How to Make These Burrito Bowls as Meal Prep
This recipe makes 4 servings, but you could also double it to make 8. You can meal prep leftovers by adding them to individual containers.
It's most convenient to assemble individual burrito bowls in Tupperware (like the ones below) and then store them (rather than storing all of the components separately).
Note: these burrito bowls were inspired by our Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe, which is an easy way to make fajita chicken in the oven. This burrito bowl recipe uses the exact same way to cook chicken, but pairs it with tasty sides.Print