This hearty steak salad is made with a mix of crunchy toppings, fresh vegetables, and tender steak drizzled in a creamy, simple balsamic vinaigrette. This salad is the perfect mix of light, seasonal flavors and hearty, satisfying ingredients.
- 1 pound steak (flank, flat iron, or NY strip)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup diced cucumber (English or hot house cucumber)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- ⅓ cup pepitas (also called pumpkin seeds)*
- ⅓ cup sliced red onion
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Pat both sides of the steak dry with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the steak.
- Cook the steak without moving it for 3 - 5 minutes, flip and cook for 3 - 5 minutes more. The steak should have an internal temperature of 135°F for medium rare and 145°F for medium.
- Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Cut the steak into thin slices against the grain.**
- In a small bowl, stir or whisk together the dressing ingredients until they are emulsified (fully mixed & thickened).
- Assemble the salad and place the steak on top. Drizzle as much of the dressing as preferred over the salad and toss to mix. Enjoy!
*You can substitute pine nuts or walnuts if you can't find pepitas/pumpkin seeds
**Quick video showing how to cut against the grain: https://youtu.be/x1B0_XIq1LY?t=18
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 454
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 391mg
- Fat: 32.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Keywords: salad, steak, dinner, lunch, meal prep, peptias, tomatoes, cucumbers, healthy, meal, balsamic, romaine, green, feta, avocado