A simple recipe for classic slow cooker pork carnitas. The pork is slow cooked with orange & lime juice and then broiled until crispy in the oven. Eat these carnitas alone or in tacos, burritos, nachos & more!
- 4 - 5 pounds boneless (skinless pork shoulder or pork butt)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 oranges (juiced)
- 3 limes (juiced)
- 1 yellow onion (quartered)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- In a small bowl, make the spice rub: stir together chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Rub the spice mix over the pork, covering all sides.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker. Add orange juice and lime juice. Add onion and garlic on top of the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or high for 5 - 6 hours. The pork should be cooked through and tender enough to easily shred.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes and then shred using two forks.
- Add the shredded pork to a baking sheet in 1 layer and pour over 1 cup of liquid from the slow cooker.
- Place the pork in the oven and turn on to broil at 450 degrees. Broil 7 - 10 minutes, until the edges of the pork are darkened and crispy.
- To serve: if desired, pour additional liquid from the slow cooker over the pork before serving. You can eat these carnitas alone or in tacos, burritos, nachos, etc!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
Keywords: canitas, pulled pork, mexican, slow cooker, easy, pork, bbq, dinner