This classic, easy slow cooker pot roast is prepped in only 15 minutes, cooks everything in the slow cooker, and makes a hearty dinner to feed a crowd. The result is an impressive meal that takes very little time in the kitchen!
- 3 - 5 pound chuck roast*
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large carrots (cut into 1” chunks)
- 1 pound yellow baby potatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about ½ large onion)
- 3 ½ cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
To make a gravy (optional):
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Season the roast: use paper towels to dab the roast dry. Sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear the roast: in a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, sear the roast for 4 - 5 minutes on each side, until well-browned. Add the beef to the bottom of the slow cooker. (Recommended slow cooker size: 6 or 7 quart.)
- Add vegetables: add the carrots, potatoes and onion around and on top of the roast in the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients: add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Depending on the size of your slow cooker you may want to add ½ - 1 cup more of broth (or water) so that the beef and vegetables are almost completely covered in liquid.
- Cook: cover and cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or high for 5 - 6 hours. The roast and vegetables should be cooked through.
- To serve: remove the beef from the slow cooker. Shred the beef and discard any fat. Discard the bay leaf and serve the vegetables alongside roast. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- To make a gravy: strain 2 cups of the broth from the slow cooker through a fine mesh strainer. Heat over medium high heat in a small saucepan until simmering. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the broth, stirring constantly for about 1 minute, until thickened. Pour over pot roast before serving or once plated.
*Note on roast size:
Choose the size of your pot roast depending on serving size. A 3 pound roast will make about 6 servings; a 4 pound roast about 7 servings; and a 5 pound roast makes about 8 servings.
Cooking times may also vary slightly depending on the size of your roast. The best way to know if it’s done is to check that the beef and vegetables are cooked through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 622
- Sugar: 6.7
- Sodium: 700
- Fat: 22
- Saturated Fat: 7.4
- Carbohydrates: 21.9
- Fiber: 4.1
- Protein: 79.4
- Cholesterol: 229
Keywords: beef, crockpot, holiday, roast, slow cooker