This easy, classic roast turkey recipe is a simple, fail-proof way to cook a turkey that comes out juicy and flavorful every time in only 5 steps. The turkey is rubbed with a traditional mix of herbs and then oven roasted until golden brown. It's impressive, delicious, and beginner-friendly.
- 1 (12-22 pound) turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted butter)
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the oven: move an oven rack to the lowest position possible. Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees.
- Prepare the turkey: take the turkey out of the packaging. Remove the neck & giblets from the inside cavity. Pat dry with paper towels. Stuff with onion and lemon. Tuck the wings under the body and tie the legs with twine (optional).
- Add seasoning: Rub turkey with 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or butter). mix the seasonings and rub it all over the turkey, adding some under the skin and in the inner cavity if desired.
- Roast: cook your turkey in a roasting pan in the preheated oven for 13-15 minutes per pound. Tent loosely with foil if it becomes too brown. The turkey is done when the temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the breast and the thigh.
- Rest & serve: remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Roasting pan: any roasting pan will do; but a roasting pan fitted with a rack will help keep your turkey lifted above any drippings. Here's our favorite: Roasting Pan.
- Carving: here's a quick tutorial on how to carve a turkey: Carving Tutorial.
- Thermometer: an instant-read thermometer is easiest. Here's our favorite: Instant Read Thermometer.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours - 5.5 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: thankgiving, turkey, roast, seasoning, holiday, christmas, rub