These easy, oven baked BBQ chicken wings are sweet and crispy. They're super simple to make (just bake the wings and toss them with your favorite BBQ sauce) and they're always a crowd pleaser for parties or Game Day!
- 3 pounds chicken wings (separated at the joint into wings & drumettes; tips of wings discarded )
- ¼ cup avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ⅓ cups barbecue sauce (sweet sauces work best)
- Preheat the oven: preheat the oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the chicken with the oil: in a large bowl, add the chicken wings and toss with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to baking sheet: place the chicken on the parchment-paper lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake: bake in the preheated oven for 50 - 55 minutes, flipping the wings after 30 minutes. The chicken should be crispy and slightly browned.
- Toss with barbecue sauce: remove the wings from the oven and add them to a large bowl. Toss the wings with the barbecue sauce so that they are completely coated.
- Bake again: add the chicken back to the same baking sheet and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through and the barbecue sauce slightly darkened and caramelized.
- Serve: serve immediately, optionally with your favorite dipping sauce (ranch and blue cheese are both tasty)!
- Barbeque sauce: you can use any kind of barbeque sauce for this recipe but I find that sweet sauces (like Honey BBQ or Sweet Baby Ray’s) tend to caramelize more.
- Wings: you can buy your wings whole or already split — with either type you will want to buy 3 pounds. If you buy whole wings, here is a short video that shows how to break them down into wings and drumettes: video here.
- Whole 30, Keto, Paleo: to make these wings compliant, use an unsweetened BBQ sauce like those from Noble Made, Primal Kitchen, or Tessamae. These are available in some grocery stores as well as online.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barbecue, BBQ, chicken, oven baked, wings