These sweet and sour meatballs with pineapple are made with THE BEST tangy, thick sauce. They’re ready in only 20 minutes and can be made with frozen meatballs for added convenience. So flavorful you’ll be craving them weekly!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (you can use the juice from the can of pineapple chunks)
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 15 – 20 chicken meatballs (homemade or frozen)*
- 1 cup drained pineapple chunks
- Green onions, optional for topping
- In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the bell peppers and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, until slightly tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: honey, ketchup, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Pour the sauce into the skillet and stir for 1 – 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Pour the slurry into the skillet and stir to mix. Simmer for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and pineapple into the pan and stir to coat with the sauce. Cook and stir frequently for 4 – 5 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and the meatballs are heated through.
- Serve immediately, optionally topped with chopped green onions.
*Meatballs: you can use homemade, pre-made or frozen meatballs for this recipe. Chicken or pork all-purpose meatballs work best. To use frozen meatballs: when you add them to the sauce make sure they are full heated through before serving (no need to cook them separately).
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: meatballs, sweet and sour, asian inspired, pineapple, bell peppers, chicken, pork